Samuel J Basch (64) holds a 4-year BA Communication degree from the Potchefstroom University (now North West), with majors in Journalism, Public Relations, Advertising and English.
He has more than 40 years’ experience in corporate communications:
- Since 2007 he has been the sole owner of Koisan Consultants and personally manages clients in the aviation and aerospace, defence and electronics industries. From 2010 he has been the South African media/PR consultant to a major US aerospace company.
- He has compiled, sub-edited and project managed annual reports, company profiles, newsletters, brochures, video scripts and websites. His international clients include the London based IHS Jane’s publishing group for which he travels widely as a defence reporter.
- Before starting Koisan Consultants he was Group Manager: Corporate Communications for state-owned defence group, Denel (Pty) Ltd for 16 years, with a strategic focus on marketing and external stakeholder communication, public relations, local and international media liaison, publications (including annual reports) and branding.
- In an extensive career in government service, he served as press officer at South Africa’s embassies in Latin America and Portugal and later in the government’s bureau for information (now GCIS), responsible for communication planning and advertising projects.
- Besides English and Afrikaans, he has a good working knowledge of Spanish and Portuguese (spoken, reading, some writing), derived from having worked and resided overseas.
He broadened his skills in the communication field by attending courses and work related activities:
- Euresas (Toulouse, France): “Public Relations for Aerospace Managers” May 1994;
- Extended Management Training (Denel Top 100) - Nov 1994;
- Graduate School of Business, University of Witwatersrand: “Product Strategy and Branding” – May 2001;
- Media Writing Skills (PRISA course) – Jun 2002;
- Engaging foreign trade media at international aerospace and defence exhibitions - from 1992 through 2007.
As writer and keen photographer, he has contributed to South African and foreign specialist trade magazines, like African Pilot (South Africa), African Aerospace (UK), World Airnews (South Africa), International Defence Review (UK), Military Technology (Germany), ATM (Czech Republic) and Weg! / Go! magazine.
Since 2012 he has been part of the editorial team for IHS Jane’s group at international defence exhibitions, including in Paris, Abu Dhabi, London and Amman (Jordan).