Full names: Johannes Hendrikus van Loggerenberg
Author name: Johann van Loggerenberg
Published works (non-fiction):
- Rogue: The Inside Story of SARS's Elite Crime-busting Unit – Authors: Johann van Loggerenberg and Adrian Lackay - ISBN 9781868427406 – Jonathan Ball Publishers -2016 – 2 print editions – print and ebook versions. Summary: The story of a ‘rogue unit’ operating within the South African Revenue Service (SARS) became entrenched in the public mind following a succession of sensational reports published by the Sunday Times in 2014. The unit, the reports claimed, had carried out a series of illegal spook operations: they had spied on President Jacob Zuma, run a brothel, illegally bought spy ware and entered into unlawful tax settlements. In a plot of Machiavellian proportions, head of the elite crime‐busting unit Johann van Loggerenberg and many of SARS’s top management were forced to resign. Van Loggerenberg’s select team of investigators, with their impeccable track record of busting high‐level financial fraudsters and nailing tax criminals, lost not only their careers but also their reputations. Now, in this extraordinary account, they finally get to put the record straight and the rumours to rest: there was no ‘rogue unit’. The public had been deceived, seemingly by powers conspiring to capture SARS for their own ends. Shooting down the allegations he has faced one by one, Van Loggerenberg tells the story of what really happened inside SARS, revealing details of some of the unit’s actual investigations. Editor – Mark Ronan.
- Death and Taxes: How SARS made hitmen, drug dealers & tax dodgers pay their dues – Author: Johann van Loggerenberg - ISBN 9781868428090 - Jonathan Ball Publishers - 2018 – 2 print editions – print and ebook versions. Summary: Nothing in life is certain, except death and taxes – or so the saying goes. South African tax dodgers and criminals – from drug dealers and rhino horn smugglers to one of the hitmen who shot Brett Kebble – have come to realise this truth the hard way. Former tax sleuth and bestselling author of Rogue, Johann van Loggerenberg, was at the centre of several such high-profile SARS cases that spanned many years. He offers a riveting insider’s view on some of these cases, like the investigations into Dave King, Billy Rautenbach, Barry Tannenbaum, as well as Jacob Zuma, Julius Malema and others. Since the early days of democracy, a small but determined band of people at SARS who fulfilled various investigative functions came to know every trick and scam in the book, and developed the expertise on how best to hold tax dodgers to account. Their cases often dragged on for years, with many of the defendants using every legal trick to fight back – but SARS never gave up. Van Loggerenberg also revisits events around the hollowing out of the tax authority post-2014 and brings the reader up to date on the extraordinary occurrences at SARS since the new dawn of the Cyril Ramaphosa era. Editor – Tracey Hawthorne.
- Tobacco Wars: Inside the spy games and dirty tricks of southern Africa's cigarette trade - Author: Johann van Loggerenberg- ISBN 9780624081685 - Tafelberg - 2019. Summary: Warning. Smoking kills. It also corrupts law-enforcement officials and eviscerates state institutions. It devours politicians, professionals, businesspeople and ordinary workers in the chase for big bucks and the battle for a slice of an ever-shrinking cigarette market. Join one of South Africa’s former tax sleuths Johann van Loggerenberg in a wild ride through the double-dealing world of tobacco’s colourful characters and ruthless corporates. Meet the femme fatales, mavericks, mercenaries and grandmasters, and learn how the crime-busting unit led by Van Loggerenberg at SARS and its ‘Project Honey Badger’ became a victim of a war between industry players and a high-stakes political game driven by state capture. This is the tale of a few good men and women who dared to try to hold to account a billion-dollar international industry rife with private spy networks, tax evasion, collusion and corruption – ultimately at great cost to themselves and South Africa.
Future works (non-fiction):
- Working title in progress in manuscript development phase Author: Johann van Loggerenberg publication due 2020 - Jonathan Ball Publishers.
- Working title in progress in research phase Author: Johann van Loggerenberg and another publication due 2021.
Apart of my published books, I collaborated with various media houses in analysing and researching the well-publicised so-called "Gupta leaks" which ultimately informed multiple articles published in several newspapers and by online news outlets.
In addition, a number of self-authored articles have been published online and in print news between 6 April 2016
Social media series on Facebook: #TobaccoWars (Behind the scenes evidence) 131 articles as at March 2020.
Master Tax Practitioner (SA)™: South African Institute of Tax Professionals (SAIT) www.thesait.org.za
Associate member: Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE) www.acfe.com
Associate member: Association of Certified Fraud Examiners South Africa Chapter (ACFE SA) www.acfesa.co.za