Vision and mission
Safrea's vision is to advance the interests of independent professionals in the media and communications industry.
Its mission is to be the association of choice for independent media and communications professionals.
Safrea’s aims and objectives are to:
- Promote the interests of freelance media professionals in the published written, visual, information technology, broadcast and creative media fields of endeavour.
- Foster solidarity and excellence among freelancers and to promote cooperation in all matters of common concern.
- Stimulate professional standards and ethical conduct in both freelancers and employers.
- Provide information that will assist freelancers to negotiate suitable payments and contracts.
- Provide a forum for the dissemination of information useful to freelancers and prospective clients.
- Serve as the collective voice of freelance media professionals, in the first instance for the southern African region, and for regions and interests that the Association decides to represent.
- Form alliances with organisations and agencies that can advance the interests of freelance media professionals.
Members of Safrea undertake to:
- Produce quality work and accept full accountability for it.
- Refrain from misrepresenting or exaggerating their qualifications or experience.
- Not accept any work knowingly that is beyond their ability at the time. If work is subcontracted, to take personal responsibility for the final quality of the work and, where possible, to subcontract to third parties who are also members of Safrea.
- Not knowingly produce any work intended for unlawful, dishonest, or unethical purposes.
- Adhere to deadlines, and communicate with clients timeously should problems arise in meeting deadlines.
- Treat all client information in confidence and disclose any conflicts of interest.
- Respect the rights of all owners or authorised licensees of copyright.
- Conduct themselves in a manner that engenders respect for Safrea and media professionalism.
- Act collegially by sharing knowledge and experience; this includes refraining from negative statements about colleagues.
- Endeavour in good faith to resolve among themselves any dispute that arises from their professional interactions.
- Be guided in negotiating remuneration by the principle of fairness and refrain from charging excessively low or high rates, which does not preclude offering services free to a friend (pro amico) or for a good cause (pro bono). Safreans will consider the currently published Safrea scale of fees as their guide when quoting for work.
- Comply with Safrea’s constitution and directives from its office bearers regarding Safrea matters.
- Adhere to Safrea’s Google Group Etiquette (‘netiquette’) when utilising Safrea’s members-only group forum, website and social media platforms.
- Apply the same netiquette to their postings on Safrea and any other website or social media platform regarding Safrea.
Breaches of the Code of Ethics and Conduct
Should a member breach this code, Safrea Executive Committee (Exco), or a panel mandated by it, shall decide on appropriate action in terms of the Safrea Constitution and disciplinary protocols.
This code is not intended as a stand-alone policy and should be used in conjunction with Safrea’s constitution, netiquette and other approved protocols.