Advances in technology have made it easier to work from home and the media field is particularly suited to this. At the same time, more and more skilled professionals have found themselves out of work as companies have tightened their belts. Rather than carry the costs of staff positions, employers are turning to contractors and freelancers to fill their requirements.
However, self-employed media professionals can become isolated and many have found themselves at the mercy of unscrupulous employers, who pay badly, take a long time to process payments, ignore copyright laws and generally treat freelancers unprofessionally.
SAFREA was formed to help balance the scales, with the following aims:
- To promote the interests of freelance professionals in the creative industry, including the written, visual and broadcast fields.
- To foster solidarity and excellence among freelancers and to promote cooperation in all matters of common concern.
- To stimulate professional standards and ethical conduct in both freelancers and employers.
- To provide information that will help freelancers negotiate suitable payments and contracts.
- To provide a forum for the dissemination of information useful to freelancers and prospective clients.
- To serve as the collective voice of freelance media professionals in the southern African region.
To join our flourishing community of freelancers, please view our membership criteria and complete the online application form. For more detailed information on the structure and objectives of SAFREA, see the SAFREA Constitution.