Safrea is a professional association of freelance workers in the media and communications industries. Members are writers, photographers, editors, social media managers, proofreaders, graphic designers, illustrators, researchers, translators and other experts in communication, who offer a broad range of skills and specialities.
Founded in 1999, Safrea promotes the interests of freelance media specialists, campaigns to improve their professional standing and to make working as a freelancer more rewarding.
Besides the national Executive and Oversight Committees there are branches throughout South Africa, including Gauteng (North and South), the Western Cape, KZN, Eastern Cape and Free State. Regular regional meetings, events and networking opportunities are held throughout the year.
Safrea offers members a continually evolving free archive of resources, training materials and members-only content on our website. We also host free webinars, a vibrant members-only online forum, and a publicly available directory of our talented members’ profiles, portfolios and contact details. Members regularly share work leads and contacts on the forum, while employers post commissions or search our directory for the right freelancer for the job. Safrea's Business Implementation Framework (BIF) ensures we continue to serve our members with a clear and focused purpose.
In a Nutshell
- The purpose of Safrea is to promote the interests of members who are freelance media and communications professionals in the published written, visual, information technology, broadcast and creative media spheres.
- Its highest aspiration is to be the freelance community of choice in the media and communications industry.
- A freelancer is regarded as a person providing services to multiple clients.
- A home to freelancers – Safrea is the only association with this specific mandate in the Southern African region.
- It is a professionally managed association with
- Three levels of committees – regional, Exco, Oversight
- Executive administrator
- Website manager
- Strategic plan – membership, professional development, communications and advocacy
- Six different membership categories
- Five main branches in South Africa
Safrea's Members Include
- Fiction and Non-Fiction authors
- Graphic Designers
- Editors, Subeditors and Copyeditors
- Project Managers
- Web Designers
- Content Specialists
- Social Media Specialists
- DTP Experts
- Voice-Over Artists