Safrea’s Eastern Cape region switched its monthly Coffee Club to a sundowner session to discuss Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) in Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth). In the media world, freelancers know that if you want website traffic, then understanding SEO is critical.
However, how do you make your site stand out with 1.5 billion websites, and counting, out there? Safrea member Claire Warneke shared eight years of SEO experience with fellow members at the informal event at a member’s home.
She used practical examples to focus on search giant Google in particular. And, as Google ranks over 100 elements on each page, she suggested it’s good to know at least a few.
· Accessibility: Is your website accessible to as many people as possible?
· Reliability: Is your content unique and accurate?
· Keywords: Use critical words appropriately and effectively. Ask yourself what people are typing into Google when looking for your kind of content.
· Authenticity: Don’t plagiarise.
· Authority: Who are you, what do you know, why should you rank? What problems are you trying to solve?
· Formatting: Use of H1, H2, H3, hyperlinks, quotes and so on
Claire also backed up her presentation with extensive research and links to valuable resources. The result was an appreciative audience who learnt how to optimise outcomes, whether searching for chocolate cake recipes or current affairs.